Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Scholar Spotlight: Ariel Mora


The penultimate TAURUS Scholar Spotlight of 2019 focuses on Ariel Mora, a rising junior at Bennington College.

Ariel Mora is studying physics and astronomy in the Bennington College. Ariel has been active in research on binary stars, and he is excited about learning radio astronomy this summer working with Dr. Ya-Lin Wu. Ariel’s project focuses on determining the mass of a potentially substellar object by the Keplerian rotation in its accretion disk.  Ya-Lin recently sat down with Ariel to learn more about his passions and future goals!

YLW: What inspired you to study and pursue a career in astronomy or science in general?

AM: My physics and astronomy classes in college have been very inspiring, and have been a lot of fun for me. I also enjoyed working with my mentor in my past internship at Maria Mitchell Observatory in Massachusetts. I carried out observations of a binary star on my own, and utilized photometry to determine the rotation period.

YLW: What most excites you about doing research?

AM: What has been really exciting is having the chance to study new things that people haven't studied before and using my data to make my own conclusions.

YLW: What are your hobbies and favorite pastimes?

AM: I enjoy activities such as boxing. I created a boxing club at my college and recruited new members to join.

YLW: What values, experiences, and/or perspectives do you feel you'll bring to your next research project after TAURUS?

AM: I can bring an interest of learning. I enjoy trying to understand new ideas. I hope my experience can help in my future research. I am also lookin
g forward to more internships as I still have two years left in college.

YLW: Who have been the inspiring mentors, teachers, or role models in your life?

AM: My high school physics teacher really inspired me to continue in the field of STEM. My professor in college is really excited about his astronomy and physics classes, which also makes me excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment