Monday, July 26, 2021

Scholar Spotlight: Stefany Fabian Dubon

Stefany is from the Republic of El Salvador, a country in Central America. She is now pursuing a major in physics at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania. This summer, Stefany analyzes the physical conditions and chemical abundances of a local sample of star-forming galaxies using optical spectra from SDSS, MUSE, and LBT data. In the TAURUS program, she is being supported by Prof. Danielle Berg and Dr. Karla Z. Arellano-Córdova. For Stefany, this is her first internship, which makes this adventure more exciting and many things to learn and experiment with. 

KZAC: Why did you select astronomy as your first internship?

SFB: I knew that I wanted to do something in physics since that is my field, but you know astronomy gives me the chance to learn about something bigger than myself, and to study things like stars and planets, which I’ve been curious about for a while. When I found and read about this internship, I instantly realized that I wanted to be a part of it; not only because it would give me the opportunity to work in a field I found so interesting and wanted to learn about, but also because one of its main goals is to create a community for minorities and underrepresented students, which I belong to. It gave me the chance as a latina, women of color to be surrounded by amazing people with similar backgrounds, who share a love for astronomy and who I can learn from! 

KZAC: What most excites you about doing research?

SFB: Just everything, literally! I just, I love how there is not one specific way to do it. You can use different paths, you know, you can find an answer but even if you get one answer, that answer will bring more questions. Having so many possibilities and so many uncertainties and knowing that you have the answer to this thing, there are still a bunch of other things that you can still research. You can learn something new every day! Everything that you are doing is learning! I feel like research just gives you that chance, the opportunity, to do everything that you want and learn along the way.


KZAC: In your opinion, what qualities make astronomy so unique and compelling?

SFB: The fact is that it is such a diverse field, it is not limited to just learning about a specific topic. It is about the whole Universe! There are countless things we can learn about. You can study stars, planets and so on, you can find something to learn about in each corner of the Universe. I feel like in astronomy you are always gaining knowledge, and at least to me, it puts in perspective the role we as humans play and where we belong in the Universe. 


KZAC: How do you feel other aspects of your life have impacted your view on STEM careers?

Surprise! 
Stefany has a twin who is also involved in science (in biology)!  

SFB: That’s a good question! Honestly, I’ve had a love for science since I can remember and that has always been reflected in my personal life. My older sisters are in other career paths than my twin and I, and I guess seeing their work life has made me more sure of my decision to have a STEM career. You know, throughout college, I’ve taken multiple humanities classes, where we discuss race, social constructs and other social aspects, and having participated in these classes has made me realize that in STEM, there is a big need to talk about social issues. It just seems that because there is always a focus on making new discoveries, we kinda forget that we are still a part of society and thus we should also be working to improve it. There is also a big lack of diversity in STEM careers! Something that I honestly hope we will continue to improve as we keep on moving forward.


KZAC: Tell us more about you, what do you do for fun?

SFB: I really enjoy binge watching shows! I love trying new foods, bicycling, and just exploring! I love camping because it allows me to be surrounded by only nature, and it reminds me how important it is to take care of the environment. I guess in a way my love for nature reminds me that despite loving the study of stars, other planets and galaxies, we humans still have earth to take care of, and we shouldn’t forget that!

KZAC: What advice would you give to high school and undergraduate students of color interested in following your path?

SFB: I think that I would like to tell them to not get discouraged by the obstacles they will have to face as a person of color. You know, we are such a small community in this field, and there will be times where people will tell you that you don't belong here. That is 100% untrue. You should be a part of this field, and you have nothing to prove to others because you deserve to be here as much as anyone else. I also think it is extremely important to find your own people, someone who can support you and give you the advice/help that you need. I would also tell them to not let fear stop you! Keep your head held high and go for whatever goal you want!

KZAC: A last message of Stefany for as a latina woman:

SFB: Be proud of your heritage and who you represent! Because just as you are inspired by other people that look like you, there will be others who will look up at you in inspiration! You should be proud of your background and all the hard work you’ve done! Because the hardships that we have had to overcome is what has shaped us to be the people we are today! And don't ever let other people diminish or take away that!

Stefany will present her research at the American Astronomical Society’s general meeting this January. She is also motivated to get a minor in computer science. Stefany looks for adventures in science and she is looking for a graduate program where she has never been before, perhaps in another country/city. She will love to be an astronomer, but with the vision to keep learning whatever she decides in her professional life! I am sure that we will hear amazing things about her and her research shortly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment