Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Scholar Spotlight: Jordyn Mascareñas-Wells

The last scholar spotlight of the year is here!  Jordyn Mascareñas-Wells is a rising junior majoring in mathematics and physics at the University of Oregon.  She recently sat down with her research mentor, Dr. Aaron Rizzuto, about her experiences.

AR: What inspired you to pursue a career in Astronomy? 

JMW: As a senior in high school, I discovered my passion for science. I spent the summer before my Freshman year of college as an intern at the Nonlinear Mechanics and Dynamics Research Institute at Sandia National Laboratories and went into college with an interest in studying material science. After working in a condensed matter laboratory under the Material Science Institute at UO, I decided that the field wasn’t for me. At the beginning of my Sophomore year, I took an elective course offered through the physics department on Stellar Astrophysics, as UO doesn’t offer any sort of Astronomy degree or classes. Instantly, I felt intrigued to learn more about the topic, unlike anything I had ever experienced before. I was excited to get to class every day and attended office hours regularly in order to answer the many questions I had. I had such a hunger for knowledge on the topic and I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the Astronomy in order to feed that hunger.

AR: Can you share a bit more about yourself and what draws you to science? 

JMW: I grew up in Rio Rancho, New Mexico as an only child. I enjoy sports, hiking, horseback riding, escape rooms, and cooking. My father is an electrical engineer and has always fueled my interest in STEM. As a first-generation college student from a small town, he has instilled in me the value of hard work and will to succeed that have helped him achieve all he has today. Having the ability to understand how the world around us operates and why things are the way they are is an invaluable asset and one of the primary motivations for my pursuit of a career in STEM.

AR: What mentors, teachers or role models have been the most inspiring? 

JMW: My father has been a huge role model in my life and has stimulated my interest in science. I also have a graduate student mentor at UO who has encouraged me to pursue a graduate degree, something I would have never considered before as I had this stigma in my mind that only the most brilliant and perfect people go on to get doctoral degrees.

AR: What advice would you give to students of color interested in following your path? 

JMW: STEM fields can be lonely and unwelcoming places for individuals from minority groups. As long as you follow your heart and remind yourself about what drew you to the field in the first place, nothing will stop you from achieving your goals and accomplishing your dreams. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and don’t limit yourself from fear of failure.


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Nice contribution by your site. your content is very useful for the readers.i browse many website for Horoscope and Astrology. i found Taurus Horoscope 2019 Here and hope that it's will be useful for your reader.

    ReplyDelete