Friday, June 25, 2021

Scholar Spotlight: Carlos Garcia Diaz


Our first TAURUS Scholar Spotlight of the 2021 summer highlights Carlos Garcia Diaz. Carlos recently graduated with a major in Physics from the Delaware State University, and will be attending the University of Massachusetts Amherst as a graduate student in Astronomy this fall. Carlos is working with Prof. Karl Gebhardt in searching the HETDEX dataset for massive clusters of galaxies in the early universe. Below is a summary of a recent fun discussion between the two.

KG: What would be one of the most exciting results you could imagine from your research this summer?

CD: I would love to find a cluster of galaxies that is so massive in the early universe that it will challange dark matter models. Since these clusters are so young, it could test the ability of a massive structure to form. Just looking through the dataset so far has been fun. And take a look at a few of these interesting cases that I found already.

Right then, Carlos presented two examples of potentially massive clusters that he pulled out of the 0.6 million dataset. It is impressive and exciting. It just might be that already Carlos will need to increase the overall goal that he outlined!

KG: What is the most enjoyable aspect of research so far for you?

CD: Coding! I get so excited sometimes to get a piece of code to work properly that I will stay up late playing around with the code. I have spent many late nights doing this. It is so satisfying to finally get the plot first just to display, and second to match expectations. I look forward to continuing this work.

KG: What is the most difficult aspect of research so far for you?

CD: Having confidence in what you are doing, and specifically in comparison to everyone around you. Once you realize that everyone around is very intelligent, you begin to doubt your work and you cannot but help comparing your output to their output. What helps me to deal with this is knowing that everyone is basically in the same situation, and thinking the same way. Everyone also wants success for each other, especially in this program, and it is comforting to know that the support exists.

KG: What are some surprising positive aspects that you experienced over this past 1.5 years of COVID
insanity that we all went through?

CD: I learned how to be alone with myself and understand myself a bit more. As most of us experienced, my classes were all just me sitting in my room, and I did not interact with many people. This isolation can take a toll and you really begin to learn how to be content with yourself. I also started some new hobbies. I started hiking. One highlight was hiking down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up in one long day. Absolutely beautiful.

KG: Why did you choose the TAURUS program?

CD: I had wanted to be part of the TAURUS program for some time now, and was accepted for last summer's program that was cancelled. It's great to be here this summer. TAURUS is considered among the best programs for research, and it is one of the few available to DACA recipients.

KG: What one food item do you miss the most?

CD: My mother's ceviche! No one makes it like her. 

KG: What are some of the ultimate goals for you in research?

CD: I know it will be hard, but I would love to get a faculty position someday. I will put in as much as effort that is needed. I have to try my hardest.


When Carlos is not coding, he can be found playing pick-up soccer games in Zilker Park, even in the ridiculous heat of Austin. From the research he has done already, he is well on his way to finding some of the most interesting objects in the early universe. We are lucky and excited to have Carlos in the TAURUS family.

1 comment: