Tuesday, June 28, 2022

TAURUS Scholar Spotlight: Destiny Howell

The third TAURUS Scholar Spotlight of the year is all about Destiny Howell.  Destiny comes to UT from Hunter College in New York City where she's a rising senior.  She's doing research this summer on brown dwarfs with Dr. Yifan Zhou, a 51 Pegasi B Fellow in the Astronomy Department.  Yifan recently sat down with Destiny to get to know her better.

YZ: What made you interested in the TAURUS program?

DH: There are many reasons. I like that the TAURUS program caters to students from minority backgrounds. This program creates a safe space for me and lets me feel comfortable doing what I am passionate about. I am also fascinated by the McDonald Observatory. In fact, I will visit there in a few weeks. I am really excited about it.

YZ: That’s awesome! I guarantee that you’ll see the most beautiful night sky out there. You have been in the program for a few weeks. How’s your experience in these weeks?

DH: I have been doing research as well as attending workshops. These workshops are very informative. I learned a lot of valuable techniques, including how to do research and how to program in python. Coming from New York City, I find Texas a big shock. But I have been feeling comfortable here.

YZ: Have you explored the city of Austin?

DH: Yes! I have made friends with other scholars. We went to downtown Austin, visited the state capitol, and attended a concert. We want to explore more, maybe go rock climbing.

YZ: That’s a lot of fun! We usually chat about our work in our meetings, but I don’t know too much about you outside of work. What do you like to do in your free time?

DH: I like painting, and I sell my artwork. I also do sculpture sometimes. In the past, I also ran track and played volleyball.

YZ: I didn’t know you are an artist. Have you thought about making a painting for our project? Painting a brown dwarf will make an awesome poster.

DH: Yes, that’s a good idea. I’d love to do it.

YZ: Are there any challenges and obstacles you find in your life?

DH: Being a Black woman in a STEM field, I find it difficult to have peers that look like myself. There are also some unhealthy competitions in the field. I have to battle against having self-doubt. But I have great mentors in my universities that offer me a lot of help so I can overcome these obstacles.

YZ: I hope the TAURUS program will give you more strength. I also hope your experience can encourage more people like you to join STEM fields. Tell me about what you like about research.

DH: I like the fact that I am constantly learning new things. I love studying observational data and interpreting the scientific mechanisms behind the data. This research experience also tells me what it is like to be a scientist, which I enjoy.

YZ: Final question, tell me about your plan for the future.

DH: I will go to grad school, but I am still debating between physics, astronomy, or some other related STEM fields. After grad school, I can see myself working at NASA or SpaceX and contributing to the aerospace industry.


No comments:

Post a Comment