Thursday, June 27, 2019

Scholar Spotlight: Luna Urias

This is the second of eight TAURUS Scholar Spotlights of 2019.  Luna Urias is an undergraduate astrophysics major at Texas Tech University and is working with Dr. Jorge Zavala this summer on dust-obscured starburst galaxies.

About 333 miles northwest from Austin, in Lubbock, Texas (yes, still Texas!), Texas Tech University sits, where Luna Urias is majoring in Astrophysics. Luna (which means “Moon” in Spanish!) grew up in Van Horn, Texas, under the dark skies that have fascinated and inspired a lot of people for years.  Indeed, she remembers being amazed while looked through a small telescope that her parents owned. Ever since, she has been interested in science and astronomy. In the last year, she started a research project at her home institution in the exciting field of exoplanets, and this summer, Luna is “looking” through the eyes of ALMA -- one of the most powerful telescopes in the world -- to study faraway galaxies. Below, she tells us more about herself, her path to TAURUS, and more:

JZ: What inspired you to pursue a career in science?

LU: My parents are what inspired me to pursue a career in science. Growing up watching them achieve their goals and advance in their careers helped me believe that I could do it too. They have always pushed me beyond my comfort zone so that I could experience new things. Some of my fondest memories are of watching space documentaries, discussing the latest scientific discoveries, and our family evenings outside with our telescope. When I told them I wanted to pursue something in science they were incredibly supportive and have continued to be an important part of why I’ve made it this far.

JZ: What are you most proud of?

LU: Lately, I’ve been pretty proud of myself. I grew up in a small town with limited science and technology resources which made pursuing a career in science a difficult transition. A lot of late study nights have led me to where I am now, working with TAURUS!

JZ: What advice would you give to young people interested in following a science career?

LU: Just go for it, you will never know if you’re able to do it until you try.

This TAURUS program represents a new world of opportunities for Luna’s future career in science. In just a few weeks, she will come back to West Texas and visit McDonald Observatory. She will be under those dark skies that inspired her a long time ago, but this time, taking astronomical observations at a professional telescope. Luna is a clear inspiration not only to her two younger siblings but to all young people and, particularly, to those belonging to underrepresented groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment