Friday, July 5, 2019

Scholar Spotlight: Derek Zapata

This is the third of eight TAURUS Scholar Spotlights of 2019.  Derek Zapata is an undergraduate astrophysics major at Colby College and is working with Dr. Justin Spilker this summer studying galaxies transitioning to quiescence.

After growing up and going to school down the road in San Antonio, Derek Zapata has spent the last couple years all the way off in Maine, where he will be a junior physics major at Colby College starting in the fall. This summer we're lucky to have him back "deep in the heart" as a TAURUS scholar in Austin. Derek's research project this summer involves using ALMA to understand a type of faraway galaxy on the brink of shutting off star formation. Below Derek tells us a bit about how he got involved in astronomy and the TAURUS program.

JS: What inspired you to pursue a career in astronomy/science?

DZ: Since I was a child, I’ve always been attracted to sciences because of the allure of learning and exploration, and I went through many different scientific interests as I aged, uncovering my passion for astronomy as a preteen. Astronomy is alluring to me because of its mysteries and its potential for discovery. The idea of uncovering principles and finding things that humanity will never touch, yet are so important to daily life, leaves me with confidence that hard work and passion can not only answer the largest questions we will ever have, but will also contribute to the development of society and humanity.

JS: What are you most proud of?

DZ: I’m most proud of the educational opportunities that I’ve unlocked and participated in over the past few years. Going into my junior year of undergrad, I’m still thrilled that I have the opportunity to study my favorite subject at a prestigious institution. Though much of this is due to my hard work, having a close network of family, friends, and educators that support and encourage me has meant the world to me. I also am very proud to be a TAURUS scholar, and to contribute to real astronomical research so early in my academic career! Lastly, I’m very proud to be one of the few STEM scholars in my family, and one of the things that helps me most along the way is knowing that my effort will make my family proud.

JS: Do you have any advice for high school and undergraduate students of color interested in following your path?

DZ: There are two things that I’ve learned to do in undergrad that have greatly contributed to my success as a physics/astronomy student. The first is to ask questions. For some reason, our culture views asking questions and not knowing things as a sign of weakness, and this point of view can’t be further from the truth! Everybody has trouble with something, and there’s nothing wrong with asking for an explanation or for a bit of help if a concept didn’t make sense the first time. The second is to make friends and get to know the people around you, specifically to form a study group or network of peers with which you can exchange ideas. I’ve found that this not only makes homework and studying easier, but also helps to reinforce knowledge and opens up new ways of looking at ideas. Getting to know people is also a great way to find opportunities for things like internships and research positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment