Monday, July 11, 2022

TAURUS Scholar Spotlight: Ian Wolter

 

Ian Wolter joins us from Smith College in Massachusetts, where they are a rising junior double-majoring in astronomy and physics. This summer, they are working with Professor John Chisholm and Dr. Michelle Berg on determining the star formation rates for galaxies in a group that houses a quasar and large blobs of cool gas. Michelle sat down with Ian to learn more about their interests.

MAB: What are some unique things about yourself that you would like to share?

IW: I guess these are unique in academia: I’m trans non-binary and Latiné, specifically Dominican-American.

MAB: What do you enjoy most about astronomy and physics?

IW: I find astronomy and physics to be fields that are much more creative and imaginative than they’re given credit for. The practice of searching for the unknown. Coming up with the questions that we need answers to. We’re studying the universe, the broadest thing we can imagine, by looking at such specific, focused things. I enjoy the process of doing astrophysics research. It’s like watching a story unfold.

MAB: I love that description. Have you had any previous research experiences?

IW: This past year, I was on a student research team at Smith College that observed exoplanet transits. It was mainly observational research where we tracked TESS candidates and hot Jupiters. It was a lot of fun getting to use a 16” telescope. The night sky is much darker in western Massachusetts than in New Jersey where I’m from, and it makes me so happy to be able to see more than 5 things in the sky. It was a great introduction to research. I got into the rhythm of observing, photometry, and working with the team to deal with the obstacles that inevitably arose.

MAB: What are your hobbies outside of school?

IW: I love learning languages. I’ve been learning German since starting college and before that I was learning Norwegian. I learned Norwegian when I was a high school exchange student in Norway for a year. It was incredible to be immersed in a new language and culture. I also love cross country skiing, camping, and reading. I’m currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

MAB: No way! The Night Circus is one of my favorite books. We will have to chat once you finish it. What are you most excited about for this summer?

IW: The McDonald Observatory trip. I’m hoping we’ll get to see the Milky Way. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to seeing how much I’ll grow by the end of the program. I’ve already learned so much and it’s only been a few weeks.

MAB: What are you most proud of?

IW: I’m most proud of how much I’ve grown into myself in the past few years, the past year specifically. I’ve gotten a lot better at advocating for myself, asking for help, and at expressing myself. Especially in regards to my queer identity, I’ve become more accepting of myself.

MAB: Are there any mentors of yours that have been helpful or inspiring along the way?

IW: You [Michelle] have been a great mentor to me; I’ve learned so much from you already. The grad students have also been great mentors. My grad student mentors - Kendall and Olivia - inspire me so much. Back at Smith College, my advisors Doreen Weinberger and James Lowenthal have given me so much advice that I’m so grateful for. In addition, the recently graduated senior class of physics and astronomy majors have given me a sense of belonging and made me feel that I have a place in this field.

MAB: You absolutely have a place in this field. What advice would you give to high school or undergraduate students who might want to follow a similar path to you?

IW: If you find astrophysics fun and exciting and you want to keep doing it, that’s enough. Don’t think you have to be a superhuman prodigy that never makes mistakes and fits into a rigid mold. You can do astrophysics and also be fully yourself.

MAB: Any ideas about future plans?

IW: I’ll be spending this upcoming school year studying abroad in Germany, which I’m very excited about. Further into the future, I want to go to graduate school for astrophysics and continue pursuing research.

1 comment:

  1. HIRE A HACKER TO FIX YOUR CREDIT SCORE.

    I was homeless and I had an eviction on my credit that wouldn't let anyone rent or sell to me. I needed to fix my credit and remove the eviction. Captain WebGenesis worked on my profile as I was directed to the Expert by my work colleague. Within the space of 3- 6 business working days, Captain WebGenesis removed the eviction, cleared other negative items and boosted my scores to 1099. Purchasing my new home was an easy and pleasant process. I highly recommend Captain WebGenesis for any kind of hacking service. The Expert is fast and reliable when it comes to hacking.

    GET IN TOUCH WITH THE EXPERT THROUGH;
    Mail Add Captainwebgenesis@hackermail.com
    WhatsApp: ( +1 (447) 442–0456.}.

    ReplyDelete