Tuesday, July 19, 2022

TAURUS Scholar Spotlight: Isaiah Pipkin


Isaiah Pipkin is a rising junior majoring in Astronomy and Physics. He didn't have far to travel being at the University of Texas at Austin. Working with Professor Karl Gebhardt, he is going through the very large database for the Hobby-Eberly Telescope Dark Energy Experiment and helping to calibrate the machine learning efforts. With millions of sources, we rely on machine learning to help decide which ones are actual galaxies, and Isaiah is working the hard and extremely important step of making sure the machine learning has the best inputs. Karl had a great conversation with Isaiah on his experience so far.


KG: You just returned from observing at McDonald and it sounded fun. How did you keep yourself up at night?

IP: What? Staying up at night was easy. This was the most fun I have had in the long time, and just the excitement of taking data and using the telescope kept me awake. No problem. I could easily see myself becomming an observer, after this experience. I would love to go back and do it again.


KG: What made the observing experience so special?

IP: Over the pandemic, many people had to stop observing and go all remote. Being physically at the telescope made it that much more special realizing how unique a siutation we have here at UT. Being a student operating this telescope was exciting. It's the whole process that was fun, from just learning to troubleshooting to taking data. It never got bored. Being on your own operating this telescope is an amazing experience. I basically got to experience the art of discovery. I was being trusted to do science, and do it on my own. I told my family about it and told them that this is what I really want to do. I was able to see myself do this for a living and I loved it. My mother was very happy to hear that.


KG: Why astronomy in the first place?

IP: My mother wanted me to go into engineering. I wanted astronomy. What drove me is the power of discovery; the fact that I could make an impact, whether small or large, on this human pursuit that has been going on for centuries. The feeling of having contribution to exploring the wonders of the universe is special. This is something where Astronomy can play a unique role compared to other disciplines.


KG: What in your background might have generated your interest?


IP: My mother bought me a telescope when I was a kid. The point was to just have fun with it, but I quickly realized how exciting it was to look at the universe. That set me on my path. My high school physics played a significant role in fostering my love of this field. She had a huge impact and encouraged me to pursue this in college.


KG: What did you miss in Houston when you first went to college. I ask this since my daughter is moving out of state for university this fall, and I want to know what to do and not to do.

IP: The thing I missed the most was family and friends. Of course, I made friends here but the trust one develops to know someone will be there is important to have. I had strong encouragement from my mother and that helped a lot. Some of the strongest advice would be to just be there and listen. You don't even have to say anything. Being away from home is hard in itself, and sometimes you don't need a solution or guidance, but just being a listening friend. Do that, and it will make everything so much easier to transition.


KG: What would excite you the most in research?

IP: Getting my first paper out! It means you are in the game. I want that experience and excitement of doing the science on my own and contributing.


KG: If you could go back and speak to yourself as a young kid, what would you say now to encourage that kid to go into astronomy and research?

IP: Give them your story. It is so powerful to make a connection by what you went through. I did not have a lot of opportunities, but I did have individuals who were very supportive. Hearing similar stories and background from someone who is in the field provides powerful motivation. This is the motivation that that kid is looking for. Make it clear that this path is available to everyone, and you should push for it. It will be hard but I'd make it clear that you will find support. There is nothing to be afraid of. College can often be seen as just a burden, an extension of high school. I'd make it clear that it is opportunity to do what you want and find a home. I love what I am doing right now. That's the strongest message one can give.

1 comment:

  1. HIRE A HACKER TO FIX YOUR CREDIT SCORE.

    I was homeless and I had an eviction on my credit that wouldn't let anyone rent or sell to me. I needed to fix my credit and remove the eviction. Captain WebGenesis worked on my profile as I was directed to the Expert by my work colleague. Within the space of 3- 6 business working days, Captain WebGenesis removed the eviction, cleared other negative items and boosted my scores to 1099. Purchasing my new home was an easy and pleasant process. I highly recommend Captain WebGenesis for any kind of hacking service. The Expert is fast and reliable when it comes to hacking.

    GET IN TOUCH WITH THE EXPERT THROUGH;
    Mail Add Captainwebgenesis@hackermail.com
    WhatsApp: ( +1 (447) 442–0456.}.

    ReplyDelete